Saturday, January 12, 2008

Resolve to Stress Less Over Your Vacations

Eileen writes:

No matter how well I plan - and remember, I'm an expert - I always forget something. Once, it was my youngest daughter's parka on a ski trip. (We bought another at an outlet mall on the way.) Another time, when we drove to Cape Cod for a week, we forgot my older daughter's duffel. (Thank goodness, a friend was coming the next day.) Then there was the California hike when I forgot the first-aid kit (a fellow hiker offered his).

That brings me to my first 2008 travel resolution (Listen up, moms): I'm going to "chill," as my kids would say. I'm no longer going to fret every detail. I'm not going to get unduly upset when plans go awry and itineraries change, as they invariably will. I'm going to embrace such changes as part of the adventure. I'm going to try.

RESOLUTION 2: I'm going to ask for help from the rest of my family.

RESOLUTION 3: Let go of the guilt! Wherever we go, I'm going to plan some just-for-me time.

RESOLUTION 4: I'm going to book nonstop flights whenever possible, even if they cost a little more and especially when I'm sending a child or teen unaccompanied.

RESOLUTION 5: Wherever we go, I'm going to find something for us to do that we've never done before - snowshoeing in Yellowstone National Park (www.nps.gov), scuba diving in the Bahamas (www.bahamas.com), swimming with dolphins in Orlando (www.discoverycove.com) or surfing in California (www.gocalif.ca.gov).

RESOLUTION 6: I won't force everyone to be in lockstep the entire trip.

No comments: